Wakefield Redmen Lodge Members early 1900's in front of house across Street from lodge-a 2 story brick. Charles Noel Sr. on right end back row. George Monroe Wills 2nd row (hair parted-dark suite 3rd from right). Note improper treatment of the flag letting it touch the ground.
photo from Jim Henry collection
Bill Trusty Gas Station
photo by Tyrone Hemry Nov. 2011
Buell Wheeler's Service Station probably mid 1950s located at intersection of US 23 and Manor Road (originally called Ferry Road as it led to the Scioto River Ferry to S.R. 104 near Ganderhook Road) This is where Riser Equipment is now located. Also in the picture is the Country Kitchen Restaurant which Buell also ran. The buildings can still be seen across Manor Road from the new Riser Equipment building.
Wakefield Free Will Baptist Church
photo by Tyrone Hemry Nov. 2011
Former and last Post Office in Wakefield that closed 2 September 2005
photo by Tyrone Hemry Nov. 2011
This bridge was an otherwise traditional example of 1930s pony truss bridge construction. However, likely due to some sort of structural deterioration, the bridge had been retrofitted in the oddest of ways. Girders from a through plate girder bridge have been attached to half of the bridge. The girders do not run the entire length of the bridge, and a pier was added to support the end of the girder that extended into the water. Holes were cut through the deck of the truss bridge to connect the girder. There apparently must have been an issue with the floor beams or deck stringers at this end of the bridge to cause this alteration to take plate.
This Bridge was replaced in 2008
Rank and Organization: Private, Company E, 33d Ohio Infantry. Place and Date: Georgia, April 1862. Entered Service At: Wakefield, Pike County, Ohio. Birth: Pike County, Ohio. Date Of Issue: 28 July 1883.
One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians) who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., in an attempt to destroy the bridges and track between Chattanooga and Atlanta.
Chattanooga National Cemetery showing Andrews Raiders Monument
Andrews' Raid was a military raid that occurred April 12, 1862, during the Civil War. Volunteers from the Union Army commandeered a passenger train with the locomotive "General" and took it northwards toward Chattanooga, TN, doing as much damage as possible to the vital Western & Atlantic Railroad (W&A). Locomotives of the time normally averaged 15 miles per hour, with short bursts of an average speed of 20 miles per hour. At milepost 116.3, north of Ringgold, GA, just a few miles from Chattanooga, with the locomotive out of fuel, Andrews' men abandoned the General and scattered. Andrews and all of his men were caught.
The General is now in the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, Kennesaw, Georgia.
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
A painting on slate by Janet Justice of Bill Trusties Gas Station. Bill was ahead of his time with gas, groceries, restaurant and garage. Janet calls her business Moose Hollar Noshuns' and does Custom Art, Fused Glass and Tasty treats
Baptizing at Wakefield May 5, 1921 Republican Herald
Joseph R. Holbrook, 87, passed away August 1, 2015, from natural causes, with his family by his side. He was born on October 2, 1927, and raised on a farm in Pike County, Ohio, a son to Elizabeth Prater Holbrook and William Cecil Holbrook. In 1949, he married Wilma Semones, with whom he recently celebrated 66 years of marriage. Joe started his career with WPAY radio in Portsmouth, Ohio, before moving to Columbus in 1950 to join WBNS-TV. He spent 42 years at 10TV, including 40 years as the station's weatherman, where he was beloved by all who welcomed him into their living rooms. During his career, he spent many years visiting elementary schools throughout central Ohio to educate students with his weather talks, and also was known for his popular yard-and-garden segments shown during newscasts. Joe was an avid pilot who was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and other pilot groups, and also co-piloted flights with the Ohio State Buckeyes men's basketball team in the 1960s. He was a flight instructor out of Ohio State's Don Scott Field and taught aviation meteorology at the university for a decade. Joe was the best husband and father any family could ask for and a genuinely warm and caring person. He never met a stranger and was truly a humble man. His passion was his family and he would come home during his dinner break to say goodnight to his children. He saved his vacation time for long family trips throughout the United States, traveling in a station wagon with a camper attached to the back, with his four children and his niece and nephew. He loved to talk about those memories and how when we arrived at the campground after a long day in the car, he would get out a lawn chair and relax while all of the children scattered, leaving our loving and beautiful mother to do all of the work. The most amazing thing to him was that during those trips he would meet people who knew him. He never tired of people stopping him wherever he was and was genuinely interested in what they had to say. In later years, Joe continued his travels with his wife, Wilma, driving all over the country in their motorhome, and seeing the world via cruise ship. He spent his final years at the Forum at Knightsbridge in Columbus, where he made new friends and shared life stories until the last days. His family is grateful for his lessons of kindness, tolerance, compassion for others and hard work that he always shared by example. Although his day-to-day presence in our lives has changed, we see his personality and values in our children and grandchildren every day, which is the most beautiful tribute of all. It is now our turn to wish him much love and always sunny skies. Joe is survived by Wilma; children, Steven (Laura), Nancy, Amy, and Pat (Diana) Holbrook, all of Columbus; grandchildren, Rian Miller (Favor Ryland-Davis), Michael Miller, Katie Durborow (Nathan Sweeting), Jake Holbrook, Karena Clark, Danielle Clark, Josh Clark and Kaden Holbrook; and great-grandchildren, Adam Ryland-Davis, Travis Ryland-Davis, Lily Miller, Abi Sweeting and Tucker Sweeting. Calling hours are Thursday, August 6, from 1-3 and 5-8 p.m. at TIDD FUNERAL HOME, 5265 Norwich St., Hilliard. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Association , Central Ohio Chapter, 1379 Dublin Rd., Columbus, Ohio, 43215 or at www.alz.org/centralohio.
Wakefield school play Republican Herald 22 March 1945
Lewis Patrick's store at Wakefield, Ohio in Pike Co. in the late 1940s. On the pump island, we see a visible pump flanked by two computer pumps. The value of retaining the older visible aka gravity pump was that they could be operated even when the power was out since they were not dependent on an internal electric pump like the two newer computer pumps. L-R Harriet Ault, Peg Flessor, Maureen Patrick Gilmore, Mary Ratcliff. Mark Howell collection
Joe Holbrook died 1 August 2015 at the age of 87. He retired after 42 years as weatherman at Ch 10, WBNS TV, in Columbus, Ohio in 1992.
Wakefield Piketon basketball game 1 Mar 1945 Republican Herald
Alton Noel with Indian motorcycle near Wakefield, Ohio in Pike Co. many years ago.
Mark Howell collection
William Cockrell was born about 1882 and died 25 May 1882
obit from 28 May The Republican Herald
photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 Feb 2015
This old carbide light came off Charlie Noel's store in Wakefield. Charlie Noel before he passed told how he remembered his dad lighting it when he was a boy. Information and picture from Steve Staten.
George Watkins' canal boat (out of Wakefield in Pike Co.) puts in at Marfield Mill just north of Chillicothe on the Ohio & Erie Canal.
The Wakefield ferry ran between Wakefield and Coopersville (a community on the west side of the Scioto river that came into existence because of the canal) and was started around 1829. Frank Russell operated it from around 1890 to 1925. Fern Flower's father ran it from 1925 to 1926. Then Ernest "Ern" Kinnison and "Cotton" Russell and at last Charlie Weeter ran it until the late 1940s. In the 1870s, Duncan's sewing machine agent was touring the hills and hollow of Camp Creek Township, trying to sell his machines to the housewives. When attempting to cross the river on the ferry at Coopersville he lost control of his horses and his wagon, sewing machines and all dumped in the river. Horses often were skittish on the apron board at the end of the ferry boat.