Windle's Grocery at Stockdale around 1954-1955. L-R Henry Moon, Pat Brown, and Bill Hall.
Mark Howell collection
One of the most pleasing and patriotic attributes of our National Day at this place, was founded in the circumstances which induced our old friend and worthy neighbor, Uncle Billy Stockham, to open up his benevolent and patriotic heart and literally throw open his beautiful farm and excellent shady grove for the free use of the G. A. R. celebration. Perhaps Uncle Billy had learned that there would be some obstacles thrown in the way of his old friends, the soldier boys, at the point originally selected for their celebration and his patriotic devotion to his country and the brave boys who defended it with their lives, led him to take this patriotic step. Uncle Billy had witnessed in this same grove, over a quarter century ago the mustering into service of these young soldier boys then young, handsome, brave and gay, and it filled his old heart with pride, for his ancestors ha d fought in the Revolution and at Tippecanoe and now he offers his last son a living sacrifice upon the alter of his country!. And today his aged eyes fill with tears as he looks forth over the happy multitude and sees only here and there a boy in blue as they mingle in the throng of the young and gay, and when he remembers the brave and only son to whose shoulders he had hoped to transfer the mantle of his authority in his declining years, and sees him with his comrades and loved ones no more, only the conscience of his dying for his country can solace his old age. And their whitening looks and bending forms to him is evidence of their physical infirmities the nearing of the time when he will have gone alike to the mystic realms of that silent abode where the innumerable hosts of the Grand Army of the dead have taken up their silent march and white winged sentinels guard the way. Our countries heroes may be divided into two classes- those who fought at the front and those who defended and supported their homes and dear ones while they battled for their country. To the latter class our hero belonged. Never gave patriot better service to his country. Caring for the fatherless; providing food for the hungry; neglecting his own affairs and giving his time and money to those whom providence had left entrusted to his fatherly care. Long life and prosperous old age to Uncle Billy. W. M. M. July 13,1888 Pike County Republican
Memorial day in Stockdale cemetery 26 May 2014
4 Feb 1886 Waverly Watchman
The first grade class at Stockdale, Ohio in Pike Co. in 1934-35.
Mark Howell collection
1939 accident kills undertaker from a Jim Henry Pike's Past 2 March 2005
Stripping sorghum for molasses in 1942 at Windy Valley Farm by Stockdale, . L-R Jack Stapleton, Ma Brunner, Jack Brunner, Marie Brunner, and Virginia Brunner. The one tagged as Ma Brunner is a Stapleton. The Stapleton farm was just east of Stockdale on the Pike and Scioto county line.
Mark Howell collection
Stockdale was called California until about 1900 when the name was changed to honor the Reverend Stockdale, a well-respected Methodist pastor. The post office name was also changed to Stockdale from Flat.
New Post Mistress
Mrs. Jane Keller has taken up her duties at postmistress of Stockdale. The office has been moved across the street to its former location. Her commission was issued November 14th. November 28, 1935 Republican Herald
The Free Will Baptist Church, of California, was organized Feb. 3, 1878, by Rev. Alva Crabtree and T.E. Peden. Thirty-eight members joined the church, and George W. Fellows was Deacon. In 1878, or the year of organization, they built a frame on the corner of High and Water (in Stockdale). The trustees were S.B. Masters, J.R. Samson and T.D. Wilson. The church officers has now a membership of 50, under the care of Rev. Frank May, who holds service once a month. The church officers are: Trustees O.E. Emory, Levi Brown and E.K. Crabtree. The church property is valued at $1,000. “History of the Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio”, published in 1884.
Stokdale Memorial Day Parade May 26, 2014
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
The Scioto Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1835 with a membership of 18. They met in private homes or at the school house for services. They constructed there first church of hewn logs about 1847 near the Keller farm on Posey Ridge. Pioneer families mostly Browns, Rickeys, Samsons, Bennetts and Beauchamps made up the membership. Eventual a disagreement over wearing apparel split the church. One part of the membership built a church at the corner of Stockdale cemetery. It was finished in 1853 and was known as Wesley Chapel Methodist Protestant Church. The other group chose to be Methodist Episcopalians and built there church, Scioto Chapel, along present day California Pike where the cemetery is located.
The original log church was used for 15 years when they built, a quiet large frame church to take its place. It was 32 X 46 feet in size and cost $1500 to construct.
The trustees of the Methodist Protestant Church purchased lot 8 in the village of California (Stockdale) from Jeremiah Rickey 9 March 1867 at a cost of $250.00. The church here served the congregation for over thirty years. Because of the quality of construction was poor the state fire marshal condemned the building in 1904 and order torn down. The congregation made a decision to move the new church to the center of town on a larger lot. The new church was dedicated Sunday 20 May 1905 with about 500 people in attendance. This church cost $3000 to build. In February of 1891 the parsonage along with two other buildings were lost to a fire.
Over the next two decades both churches did well and the reason for there original split was forgotten and a movement was started to reunite the two congregations. In 1930s the decision was made to unite. The Scioto church was dismantled and the lumber used to add on to the church in Stockdale about 1932. The new church took on the name Stockdale Methodist Episcopal Church.
Just five months after the remolding of the church a devastating fire destroyed the church on Wednesday 25 November 1936. A coal furnace had been installed two months earlier and had not been working sufficiently. The plumbers had worked on the furnace that evening and had left the church just 20 minutes prior to smoke being noticed at 8:45 p.m. by Mrs. Evelyn Burgess. The furnace is thought to have been the cause of the fire. The wooden frame made for a fast moving fire. Fire departments from Beaver, Piketon and Waverly were called to send their fire departments. The fire soon leaped to the parsonage on the east side of the church and on over it to a garage owned by Roscoe Brown and along side of a two story house. Flames also reached Cora Gee's two story house just west of the church. Its damage was confined to the weather boarding and the roof. Some damage was also caused to store/dwelling of Frank Spriggs located across the street.
The church was insured for $8000 and the parsonage built in 1924 for $2000. Rev. Williams lost $300 in personal possessions. Until a new building was built the congregation met at the Stockdale High School. Construction on this new church was stated in spring of 1937 with laying of the corner stone 6 June 1937. The dedication of the new church took place 8 May 1938. Current pastor is Rev. Major Montgomery.
photo by Tyrone Hemry October 2010
Since I took this picture the congregation has with drawn from the Methodist and had to buy there church back from the Methodist. It is now called Stockdale Christian Church.
USS Mount Vernon, a 29,650-ton (19,503 gross ton) transport, was built at Stettin, Germany, in 1906 as the trans-Atlantic passenger liner Kronprinzessen Cecilie. Laid up in the United States during the first years of World War I, she was seized when the U.S. entered the conflict in 1917. She was turned over to the Navy, renamed Mount Vernon, and converted at Boston, Massachusetts, for troop carrying service. Initially assigned no registry number, she later received the ID number 4508. Repaired at Brest, France, and at Boston, she returned to service in February 1919, this time as part of the great effort to bring war veterans home. This work was largely completed by the summer of 1919 and USS Mount Vernon was placed out of commission in late September. Transferred to the War Department, she operated as the U. S. Army Transport Mount Vernon until the early 1920s. The ship was then laid up and remained inactive until scrapped in 1940.
First Pike Coutian killed in Combat in World War One
James Erskin Crabtree was born in the Stockdale community on September 3, 1894 the son of Bertie Alma and Florence Viola Bennett Crabtree. James was educated in the local graded school prior to joining the United States Navy. He entered the service on June 14, 1917 in Portsmouth OH. He received his initial training at the Naval Training Station in Newport RI. Upon completion of his initial training he was stationed in Boston MA. In 1918 Fireman Second Class Crabtree was assigned to the USS Mount Vernon. In September of 1918 James was in the midst of his eighth trip across the Atlantic. His voyages consisted mostly of transporting troops as the Mount Vernon was a captured German cruise liner, modified to carry American soldiers. On September 5, 1918 the Mount Vernon was on its way back to the United States after delivering troops to the European war zone. While underway in a convoy some 200 miles west of France, the crew spotted a periscope and opened fire. At the same time German submarine U-82 launched a torpedo. Though she attempted to evade, Mount Vernon was hit amidships. The resulting explosion blew a large hole in her side, putting half the boilers out of action. Thirty-six of the crew were killed and another thirteen injured. As the sea began to rush into its hull, the Mount Vernon’s captain was forced to close the hatches to the damaged compartments. James Crabtree, was caught behind one of those hatches, and drowned as efforts were made to save the ship. James Erskin Crabtree was 24 years old when killed on September 5, 1918. He was the first Pike Countian killed in combat in World War One. The Secretary of the Navy commended the crew of the Mount Vernon for her sacrifice during the attack. James’ body was returned to Stockdale where he was buried in Scioto Cemetery in Marion Township. Copied from Beaver Valley Hall of Fame
The death of John G. Bennett, Stockdale, aged 81.was noted in the February 23, 1928 issue of Waverly News . He was a sharpshooter in an Ohio Regiment during the Civil War
Thieves broke into the W. L. Stanbaugh store at Stockdale and stole shoes, overalls an other merchandise and $75.00 in silver. from 25 years ago Feb. 22, 1951 The Republican Herald
Agent Patton had his house burned at California this county on last Friday. Everything was saved but the house, the loss being something like $300. Insurance $300. 17 Feb 1891 Waverly Courier
If the stated plans had worked out, California would have been a railroad town.. January 23 1895 The Wellston and Jackson Belt railroad was incorporated and one of the stated objectives was to construct a branch from Jackson to California. source: The Hocking
Alhambra Lodge No. 564, K. of P., of Stockdale will hold its Sixth Annual Forth of July celebration southeast of that village. Grande Chancellor Rev. A. E. Coil, Marietta, and Grand Prelate E. W. Tidd will deliver addresses. Prof. Will Rogers, "the black king of the air." will make a double drop from his balloon. Music will be furnished by the Beaver Brass Band. The committee in charge is composed of W. C. Wells, W. R. Riegel and Oscar Daniels. 28 June 1917 Waverly Watchman
Alhambra Lodge No. 564 Knights of Pythias Hall around 1930 on Main Street (St. Rt. 335)
The Hall set on the corner situated across 335 from Conkel's Garage and Dr. Jones office. When main street became Rt. 335 in 1932 the building was found to be sitting on the highway right-of-way. As seen in the sketch, the south side shows that the building was sitting high enough that a person could walk under the west end. Coal was stored there for the Hall.. The door on that side led to the stairway to the meeting hall upstairs. Upstairs during the 1930's and 40's, an outside company leased the building for a movie theatre which was open once a week. On the front of the building was a pull down fire escape. Sometime between 1930 and 1940, a man named Kitchen and his wife built a bedroom under the stairway. The couple used the stove in the store for heat. A gasoline pump, (hand pump) sat out front with gas selling at seven gallons for $1. Kerosene, coal oil to many, was kept in a small tank alongside the building that was also hand cranked. In later years Charley Adams ran a pool hall downstairs after that a used furniture store was ran by a Kitchen. In September 7, 1959 this building and a near by building burned down leaving now only an empty lot. This from a Jim Henry article dated 8 June 1978.
The Knights of Pythias is a fraternal organization and secret society founded at Washington, DC, on 19 February 1864.The Knights of Pythias was the first fraternal organization to receive a charter under an act of the United States Congress. It was founded by Justus H. Rathbone, who had been inspired by a play by the Irish poet John Banim about the legend of Damon and Pythias. This legend illustrates the ideals of loyalty, honor and friendship that are central to the order. The Order is founded upon naught but the purest and sincerest motives. Its aim is to alleviate the suffering of a brother, succor the unfortunate, zealously watch at the bedside of the sick, soothe the pillow of the dying, perform the last sad rights at the grave of a brother; offering consolation to the afflicted, and caring, with all a brother's love, for the widow and orphan. Brotherly love and charity are the Pillars on which it rests; Friendship and Truth the bond and surety of its preservation. The order had over two thousand lodges in the United States and around the world, with a total membership of over 50,000 in 2003. At its peak, the Knights of Pythias had close to one million members. A member must be at least 18 years of age. He cannot be a professional gambler, or involved with illegal drugs or alcohol and he must have a belief in a Supreme Being.
Another entertainment, presented by the Florence Players, was given at the K. Of P. Hall Saturday evening, January 17th. A four-act comedy drama, "What Gossip Will Do," featuring "Toby" Eastman, the boy comedian, was the main attraction. Music and dialogues were also given The same company plans to appear here next Saturday evening in "Ten Nights in a Bar Room," with added specialties and music. Admission is 15 and 35 cents. 1925 The Republican Herald
Some famous Pythian Knights: Louis Armstrong, FDR, President McKinley, President Harding, and William Jennings Bryan.
Stockdale(California, Flat), Ohio, Zip code 45683,Pictures and Information
old school at Stockdale along Rt 335 just over edge into Scioto Co.
photo by Tyrone Hemry Oct 2015
Stockdale High School 1956-57
Mark Howell collection
GAR California Post, No 375
Valley Camp No. 49, Sons of Veterans, hold their meetings regularly in the California Town Hall building, the former on the second and fourth, and the latter on the first and third Saturdays of each month. The building is owned by stockholders, all of whom are members of the Grand Army of the Republic, Post No. 375. Under the provisions of their Consitution only such can become stockholders. The articles of incorporation are dated September 19, 1884, and were recorded in the office of the Secretary of State September 25, 1884, in volume 30, pages 571, etc. and were signed and sealed September 26, 1884, by Honorable James W. Newman, Secretary of State. The names of the incorporators are John B. Brown, Hiram Adams, J. R. White, Wesley B. Brown, and William Kirchner. The articles of incorporation provide that the capital stock shall be $1500., of 300 shares at $5. each, the company to be known as the "California Building Company," of California, Pike County, Ohio, and the building as the "California Town Hall." The company was organized under the charter October 10, 1884. The building was destroyed by fire on the morning of January 28, 1886, and was rebuilt June 11, 1886. The building is located on lot 52, Wells' addition to village of California, corner of Mill and Main Streets. Size, two-story, 24 x 50 feet. The building is occupied by the above name organizations, and well furnished as Post and Camp rooms. Both organizations lost at the time of the burning of the first building, all their records, paper and equipage. The present building is of the same dimensions as the one burned, and located on the same spot. The G.A.R. Post, No 375, also suffered a previous loss from fire, by which they had destroyed almost all their post equipments and paraphernalia. They then met in the second story of a drug store located on the same lot, which they afterwards bought and built upon.
The charter members were: E. V. Samson, William Kirchner, Gilbert L. James, L. J. Jirpatrick, Joseph Niclet, Wesley Brown, Thomas M. Kent, David F. Brown, John S. Samson, Hiram Adams, Augustus Debo, L. S. Bennett, P. W. Masters and John B. Brown.
Officers - 1883 - 1884:
Post Commander - V. B. Johnson; Senior Vice Commander - J. B. Brown; Junior Vice Commander - William Kichner; Adjutant - E. V. Samson; Quartermaster - W. B. Brown; Surgeon - J. S. Samson, Chaplain -T. M. Kent; Officer of the Day - G. T. James, resigned and J. R. White elected instead; Officer of the Guard - L. S. Bennett; S. M. - M. S. Lyons.
Officers - 1885:
Post Commander - Reuben Slavens; Senior Vice Commander - J. B. Brown, Junior Vice Commander - James Musgrove; Quartermaster - W. B. Brown; Adjutant - George J. Fetters; Surgeon - J. S. Samson;
Chaplain - Thomas N. Kent; Officer of the Day - J. R. White; Officer of the Guard - John Anderson.
Officers - 1886:
Post Commander - George W. Fellers; Senior Vice Commander - Hiram Adams; Junior Vice Commander - James Musgrove; Adjutant - M. S. Lyons; Quartermaster - I. J. Dewey; Surgeron - J. S. Samson; Chaplain - J. B. Brown; Officer of the Day - J. W. Gides; Officer of the Guard - John Anderson; S. M. - Jacob Stuff.
Officers - 1887:
Post Commander - William Kirchner, resigned; Senior Vice Commander - Hiram Adams, Junior Vice Commander - W. B. Borwn; Adjutant - Walter Atkin; Surgeon - J. S. Samson; Chaplain - Isaac McCann;Quartermaster - J. B. Brown; Officer of the Day - J. W. Giles; Officer of the Guard - James R. Samson; S. M. - J. R. White; Quartermaster Sergeant - Marion Kinnison.
Muster of members:
E. V.Samson, Sergeant, 53rd & 173 Ohio Volunteer Infantry
William Kirchner, Corporal - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. L. Kirkpatrich, Corporal - 53rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Walter Atkins, Colorado Volunteer Calvary
George W. Fellers, Co. D - 89th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Joseph Nicolet - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
T. M. Kent - 30th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. G. Bennett - Sharp Shooter
R. C. Brown - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. B. Brown - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Hiram Adams, Lieutenant - 140th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
John Rockwell, Corporal - 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Tilberry Crabtree, Corporal - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
R. M. Masters, Corporal - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
M. S. Lyons, Corporal - 53rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
D. J. Brown - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
David Gorden - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
David Rockwell - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
James Kearns - 117 Ohio Volunteer Infanry
I. J. Dewey - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
G. W. Canter - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
James Bennett - 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. R. White - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Martin Stolling - Mexican War
Alfred Sharp - (deceased) - 3rd West Virginia Volunteer Calavry
John Kirkpatrick - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
G. T. James - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. W. Giles - 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Samuel Plumb - 33rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
W. B. Brown - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
N. M. Kent, Sergeant - 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
J. S. Samson - 2nd Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
J. S. Brown - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infanry
Augustus Debo - 197th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
L. S. Bennett - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
V. B. Johnson, Lieutenant - 177th Ohio Voulunteer Infantry
John Feezer - 62nd Ohio Volunteer Infanry
Lewis Demer - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
John Anderson, Artificer, 18th Infantry Volunteer
A. J. Culp
C. M. Gorden - 33rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
William Allen (deceased) - 27th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
James Musgrove - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Joseph Zaler - 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Daniel McCain - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
G. W. Bailey - 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Reuben Slavens, Lieutenant - 33rd Ohio Volunteer Infanry
Marion Kinnison - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
James Chamberlain - 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
A. Patten - 140th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
G. W. Hoover
Frederick Winter - 140th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
information from PIKE COUNTY GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL SOCIETY
old school at Stockdale along Rt 335 just over edge into Scioto Co.
photo by Tyrone Hemry Oct 2015
Former Stockdale school during 2014 Memorial day
1939 accident kills undertaker
The 1961 Homecoming festivities at Stockdale High School at Stockdale, Ohio in Pike Co.
Mark Howell collection
Stockdale class play 1 Mar 1945 Republican Herald
William Collins died at California, this county, last Saturday, at the age of 74. April 25, 1884 Pike Co. Republican
Market at Stockdale
photo by Tyrone Hemry 2 Mar 2018
Stockdale School built 1925
May 11, 1950
The 9th grade class of Stockdale High School in 1953-1954
The Republican Friday 21 Nov 1884
11 May 1950 The Republican Herald