photo by Tyrone Hemry 11 November 2011
Building on the right and the building in picture just below were pretty much twins
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Outback Printing 124 1/2 Main Street, now out of business
photo by Tyrone Hemry
Piketon Fire Department Goes Green, no CO2 come off this pumper except for the guys breathing hard working the pump
The building was set on fire and burned down during the early 1980's. Supposedly by a disgruntled patron of the bar. It is now an empty lot on Market Street in Piketon near the Piketon Motel on the same side of the street.
View of Piketon showing Opera House, Old Court House, Old Jail etc. probably taken from the steeple of the Piketon Methodist Church
Bell Saloon may have been part of the Stage Coach Inn
Green Parrott Restaurant was located in building at one time.
From information about the death of John Wesley Breitenbach on 15 Oct 1949, The cause of death shows "fell from a stool in the Green Parrott Restaurant in Piketon"
First court house was a log structure where the park is now.
Monuments located in the park
Veterans Park the former site of the Piketon Opera House. Note Court House behind the Park.
Armintrout's Garage and was also a Chevrolet dealer. In the later 70's and early 80's the building was used as Pike County Tire
This building replaced the Hotel that sat at this site.
The opera house first activity held was a large dance to initiate the building. The building had a slant floor to start with and was used for live operas and high school commencement programs. A newspaper item on May 12, 1904 read "the opera house was closed due to a lack of patronage."
During its early years the east side of the building was used as village offices and the west side was used as township offices.
In the early 1930's is was used as a motion picture theatre and films were shown there until June 1, 1954 and in 5 October 1954 Waverly News it was announced that they were removing all equipment and the theater would be close permanently.
In the 1950's the slant floor was removed and the opera house was made into a youth center.
In the 1950 Saturday nights featured the Piketon Jamboree with live country music, primarily the Bill Wiseman and Roy Ross bands.
Sometime later, square dances started in the building and a stage was rebuilt and was used as a home for a Theatre group.
Piketon Opera House burned down about 1985.
Note building on left that is now gone. Later than this picture another building was built just to the east of it that looked almost the same. In the 1970's Gifford sold auto parts, hardware and groceries there. In 1980 it became Piketon Bargain Center also selling auto parts, hardware, and groceries. Last use that I remember it was a Cardo's Pizza.
On February 7, 1843 the boundaries of the county was changed when six sections were taken from Jackson County to become part of Beaver Township and nine section form Pike county was given to Jackson County.