Left to right, seated: City Solicitor John Rittenour, Mayor Osborn, City Clerk Merle Nelson, Standing: Councilmen Harold Anderson, Clarence Baldwin, Harry Schuster, Nelson Pettit. Baldwin is also the fire chief.
Piketon Mayor, Mitchell Osborn, was a carpenter by trade and was accredited G. I. trainer in carpentry, electrical wiring, masonry, and plastering. He took on one young veteran, trained himself a careful helper and got a son-in-law. Charles McFann, the veteran, married Osborn's second daughter, Norma Jean. As a result Michael Keith McFann became his first grandchild. Osborne was also Justice of the Peace, and the official river and weather observer at Piketon for the U. S. Weather Bureau.
The widow owner of this store and attached home, Mrs. Alice Justice, was offered $100,000 (remember that is 1953 dollars) to sell the store but decided if it was worth that much to a stranger she ought to keep it. She and her daughter and son-in-law incorporated the business and prepared to meet the new demands.
Piketon students comfortable in this pictures was expected to be soon jammed. Fortunately, wives of AEC people signed up for teaching jobs.
Just prior to the Atomic Plant construction Piketon population was 758. (The 1840 census showed 507). With the coming of the A Plant, Piketon was looking at 5 years of prosperity with an influx of thousands of men, women and children then a recession. The fire department consisted of 18 volunteer firemen. The 4 churches, each with there own preacher, the Lions and Piketon Civic Clubs and the Saturday night movie were the main source of entertainment. Mitchell Osborn had started his second term as mayor in January, 1952. His salary was $150.00 per year.
Between 50,000 and 90,000 people were expected in the area by winter of 1953. The full level of the work force was expected to level off by 1955. By the end of 1957 it was expected that 4000 would remain to man the plant.
Entrance to Piketon announces all the excitement in the area. Original sign was painted by high school boys. Piketon Civic Club replaced it with a permanent sign, but made no changes in the wording.
Piketon N&W Depot
picture by Lester C. Puttcamp
The constant stream of trucks carrying rock and gravel to the new plant was too much so the Highway department is shown strengthening it.
Before the A Plant, G. W. and John Rittenour was the only law firm in Piketon. G. W. Rittenour sold land for the AEC site.
Piketon's new cap company, one cab, is operated by Ernest Davis on the right and on the left T. H. Cutler who drives the cab.
Please email additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Pictures and information was found in the November 29, 1953 Dispatch Magazine with story and pictures by Leland and Rita Puttcamp.
Taking the long way around, on a eight-mile detour, for this bus route. Kids like it because classes let out earlier since it takes more time to get to and from school.