Untitled Untitled

 picture of the building when it was the bank on the first floor in 1918

picture from late Junior Zimmerman and copied by Jim Henry

Piketon Methodist Minister, Walter Radford in 1953

Eagle Ministries, 225 East Second street, Piketon

At one time was First National Bank former Building

photo by Tyrone Hemry 31 July 2017

Methodist Episcopal Church as it looked 1913 flood in Piketon

Same location in  2 September 2014 The Odd Fellows used the building starting in 1860's

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Vanguard Ministries church schedule

photo by Tyrone Hemry 26 April 2019

New  Beginnings Church of God
Oliver St, Piketon
photo by Tyrone Hemry 31 July 2017

Piketon Church of God
Oliver St, Piketon
photo by Tyrone Hemry 2 September 2014

Vanguard Ministries Church on Main street, Piketon.  Building on left was formerly Beril's Bar and the one on the right was at time Piketon's first bank.  Last it was the Odd Fellow lodge.

photo by Tyrone Hemry 26 April 2019

Piketon Community Church, 100 Main St., Piketon
photo by Tyrone Hemry 31 July 2017

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

photo by Tyrone Hemry

 photo by Tyrone Hemry

Piketon United Methodist Church
photo by Tyrone Hemry 2007

Piketon Methodist Episcopal Church as it looked about 1911 

 Methodism in Piketon    At the end of the eighteenth century, in October1799, the first gathering of Methodists in what is now Pike County was led by Henry Smith, an early Methodist preacher who came across the Ohio River into the Northwest Territory and then organized the Scioto Circuit. The first meeting was held at the Chenoweth farm home, just north of the present bridge over the Scioto River at Piketon. That house stood near the small cemetery that can be seen on the Seif brothers' farm east of U. S Highway 23.   Local residents continued to hold Methodist meetings in homes in the area until 1812, when an organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church erected the first church, a frame structure, on the current site of the United Methodist Church. Shortly after the erection of the church, the town was laid out and called Jefferson. In 1815 the name of the town was changed to Piketon.   In 1854 the frame church was moved to another site, so that a two-story, brick church could be built on the original site. This church continues in use at the present time. The basic structure is unchanged, and the sanctuary on the second floor is very much the same as when built in 1854. The original wooden pews, stained glass window, and Seth Thomas clock have been retained.   The building survived the 1913 flooding of the Scioto River which covered the lower part of Piketon. The water reached a 4-foot level in the first floor of the church.   In 1971 a restoration of the sanctuary was undertaken with stripping of the old varnish from the pews to reveal the original finish. At that time, the old flooring in the sanctuary was replaced with barn-siding to maintain an authentic look. Also, stained glass lighting fixtures were installed.   A major renovation to the building in 1984 was the new standing-rib roof. Contractors who inspected the church at that time were impressed by the sturdiness of the beams in the attic and agreed that the building was worthy of the expenditure for a new roof. In 1985, fourteen years after the pews were refinished, the massive woodwork was stripped to match the finish on the pews. to combat falling plaster, plasterboard was installed and the sanctuary was repainted. Since then, the woodwork in the narthex also has been refinished to show the natural wood. The impressive wooden cross hanging from the ceiling over the alter was presented as a memorial gift. Both the cross and the pulpit were designed by Frank M. Robinson.   The deep red carpeting was chosen to match the corner panes in the original, stained glass windows. The modern additions of the carpeting, lighting, heating and air-conditioning have done little to change the appearance and the ambiance of the original church sanctuary.   To the rear of the building on the first floor, a modern kitchen and a large meeting room have been added. Later, the exterior of the church annex received a modern "permanent" look with the addition of siding.   In 1991 a stair lift to the second floor was installed on the stairway to the left of the entrance. Funding was covered by memorial contributions and an accessibility grant from the Portsmouth District of the United Methodist Church.   In earlier years, other communities in Pike County associated with the Piketon Circuit were Bailey Chapel, Barnes Chapel, Ferree Chapel, Salem Chapel, Scioto Chapel, Morgan's Class, Beaver Chapel, Gregg's Class, Yankee Hill, Sargent's, and Jasper. The Jasper church congregation came to Piketon in 1969 and merged with the Piketon church to become the Piketon-Jasper United Methodist Church. Recently, occasional services have been held at "The Little White Church on the Hill" in Jasper under sponsorship of the Jasper Forefathers Historical Association, a subgroup of the Ohio Trust for Historical Preservation, Inc.--a United Methodist organization.   Four member of the church have gone forth to serve in the ministry.   More than 150 pastors have served in Piketon, but the longest and most memorable service, recalled by older members of the church was by the Rev. Waid C. Radford, the pastor from 1943 to 1961. He also occupied a place of prominence in the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Church as chairman of the Town and Country commission and was named Rural Pastor of the year in 1960. Twice he was a delegate to the national General Conference.   David Burriss , October 2008, replaced Rev. Todd E. Wallace as pastor.   David is now Pastor at Calvary UMC in Waverly. The church is involved in many outreach programs such as collecting canned goods and other foods for the food pantry.  During the Dogwood festival the church opens its building to an art exhibit, the local genealogy society and a gathering of bluegrass musicians as well as serving meals.

Piketon Community Church
100 Main St., Piketon
photo by Tyrone Hemry March 2008
Piketon Church of Christ
photo by Tyrone Hemry  8April 2008
Calvary Baptist Church
212 Indian Ridge Drive, Piketon, OH 45661-9654

photo by Tyrone Hemry  19 February 2008

Piketon Church of God
Oliver St, Piketon

The church formerly was a Church of Christ in Christian Union Church, then Living Word Tabernacle

photo by Tyrone Hemry March 2008

Churches of Piketon, Ohio