Beaver Chapel United Methodist Church cemetery

photo by Tyrone Hemry  

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

photo by Tyrone Hemry  April 2010

photo by Tyrone Hemry Aug 2012

 2Sept 1890 Waverly Courier

Beaver's old bank building August 17, 2012
photo by Tyrone Hemry
Beaver's old bank building August 17, 2012
photo by Tyrone Hemry
Beaver's old bank building August 17, 2012
photo by Tyrone Hemry
Beaver, Ohio pictures and Information 
photo by Tyrone Hemry

Beaver's first bank (granted a charter under the name The Citizen's Banking Company but simply know as the Bank Of Beaver was located in this building. It also served as a post office on one side and a hardware on the other half at one time. First National bank also used one half of the building at one time starting in 1955. It also served as a storage building for Hammerstein Furniture.. 

This building has been torn down. Several other old buildings will soon be torn down also as a result of EPA. In order to fund upgrades to EPA demands of the sewer plant all properties, even vacant, has to pay a sewer and water bill so land owners are removing these old, some historic, so that they will not have to pay a water and sewer bill.

Old Beaver High School

photo by Tyrone Hemry 19 August 2016

Old water tower in Beaver Ohio of Pike County

Eric Ballein collection

Clarence Adams Saw Mill near Beaver
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Church Street, Beaver, Ohio

Beaver Emmanuel United Methodist Church is shown at the end of the street

Beaver looking east with Spangler’s Blacksmith Shop and Livery Stable on the left with a depot wagon in front on Main Street.
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Beaver's old bank building August 17, 2012

photo by Tyrone Hemry

9 Feb 1950 The Republican Herald

2 March 1950 The Republican Herald

March 16, 1950 The Republican Herald

Rapp's Repair Shop Beaver
photo by Tyrone Hemry June 2006
Beaver Faith United Methodist Church, the former Evangelical United Brethren Church
photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 July 201

Boxwell-Patterson Class of 1909 Seated L to R : Mary E. Adams, Nora B. Hines, Standing L to R: Scott Halterman, Jesse E. Smith, and Harry E. Adams 

Cox Burkitt Funeral Home

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Adams Mill

Abt. 1930 Erhman's Mill later became Adams Brothers. Built around 1865 and sold to Erhman Brothers in 1874

German Reformed Church
Brick for this church, the first brick school, and Meldick House was made from clay from a pit between the former Hammerstein Furniture store and the Robert H. Hamerstein home.  The pit was later filled by the state highway department by dirt from the road being built near the bridge near Beaver Creek.  John Kuntzman operated this brick kiln.

Mendal Rapp had his repair shop here back in the 70s

photo by Tyrone Hemry December 2015

Beaver previous fire Department.  April 27 2015

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Beaver Chapel United Methodist Church now closed and sold by the Methodist.  It is now Beaver Chapel Community Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry  

D T & I Beaver, OH 2 July 1950
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

photo by Tyrone Hemry 2010 

Photo about 1945 Beaver High School served from 1924 to 1964
Untitled Untitled
Jim Irvin's Case Steam Tractor located on Buck Hollow Road near Beaver
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry
Adams Store
photo by Tyrone Hemry May 2010

Adams supermarket and Dry Goods was a family run store started in 1880. The business was started by Henry Adams in the right side of the house. Henry left shortly to return to farming. His children lived there and operated the store for years. Dan, Lewis, Elizabeth and Anna were all part but Dan was most active. His son Frank, wife Mable and Mrs. Ben Adams were the friendly faces that you would have seen a hundred years later in 1980. Anna taught piano lessons in the area traveling by horse and buggy. Paul Adams ran the store until he passed away in 1944. Frank had bought the store in 1935 and moved his family into the house part of the business in 1945. Frank and son, Steve also ran Adams Feed and Grain located in Waverly next to the D T & I tracks. The grain elevator is now torn down and the road that wound around it now has been straightened out.

Adams family was also active in Beaver town government. Beaver was incorporated in 1900 and Lewis was appointed town councilman, 1906 being reappointed in 1912. Dan Adams served in 1926. Paul Adams served as councilman following the 1933 election. When the fire department was reorganized in 1938, the following volunteered: Paul Adams, Frank Adams, Lamar Hammerstein, Paul Jones, Ralph Davis, Ralph Sheward, Elmer Rapp and Welty Bennett.

In 1927 the town council ordered sidewalks to be built east to Adams Store from the center of town. Labor to be paid at 40 cents per hour.

The store is now closed and Mabel Adams lived in the house part until her death.

Information from Jim Henry's article dated Wednesday Sep 29, 1999

Looking past the school at Beaver Faith United Methodist Church, the former Evangelical United Brethren Church 

Front view of old Beaver High School

photo by Tyrone Hemry 19 August 2016

Chief Theophilus Scheutle

Tipp & Baker contractors and shippers of railroad ties and Lumber

Jerry Rapp's Hardware and Stiffler's Restaurant Sep. 21 1977 

Note: Jerry Rapp's Hardware is now Rapp's Repair Shop. Prior uses of this building was by Russels and Davis who sold Buick and Ford automobiles and a roller skating rink. The house on the left has since been torn down and an addition was added on to Rapp's repair shop.

from Jim Henry collection

photo by Tyrone Hemry Oct 2011
Beaver School with addition added to each end.
from Gary Minor collection

Beaver in 1921 had a population of 278 with the following business:

​Adams Dry Goods

William Anderson

J. L.  Babst   Timber & General Store

Beaver Canning & Packing Co.

Beaver Hardware & Furniture Co.

Beaver Milling Co.

Beaver Tile Co.   Manufactory of Clay Products

G. A. Besch & Son     Livery & Blacksmiths

J. Bont      Grocer

Mrs. Mary E. Deiber & C.   Millinery

W. T. Halterman   Grocer, Feed

P. K. Kepler    Cement Blocks

Leist & Davis     Furniture and Undertaking

J. F. Pyle & Son

Russell Brothers        Autos

T. Scheutle         Autos and tires

Peter Schrader       Meat

Mrs. Peter Schrader   Confectionary

Richard Thornton        General Merchandise


V. E. White     Livery

George L Wickline    Grocer

Beaver Hotel built on Main Street about 1870

Stirr House South of Beaver
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

photo by Tyrone Hemry Aug 2012 

Beaver School

Beaver 1908

Erhman's Mill  

Beaver office of the Atomic Credit Union 31 December 2015

photo by Tyrone Hemry

 photo by Tyrone Hemry June 2006

Mathews closed in 2014

Beaver's First Fire Engine now at the Pike Heritage Museum in Waverly

Beaver Hotel was built about 1870 on Main Street. It was being used as Remys restaurant and boarding house in 1984 when it was destroyed by fire.  Daniel Baker, who operated the hotel died June 1883 age 55 years 11 months 16 days and his wife Margaret, died August 15, 1886 age 49 years 19 days are both buried on the German, east side of the Beaver Union cemetery.

Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Beaver Hearse

Steam Powered Ditch Digger at the old Fairgrounds at Beaver, OH
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry
Beaver Detroit Toledo and Ironton RR Depot 1934
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry
Adams Dry Goods Letter
Main Street Beaver looking East
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Beaver General Store Apr 2019

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Cox Funeral Home

photo by June 14, 2006

Beaver Depot built in 1899 at the intersection of the Ohio Southern Railroad (Later D T & I) in Marion Township, this station served the village until July 12, 1914 when a derailment destroyed the structure.  1906-1912, Arthur Marine was operator at the depot.  Henry Stoll was the last depot operator.

The united Brethren Church spoke German for their services.  The church was completed in 1860 and stood on the lot adjoining the property owned in 1964 by Thomas Brown.  The land for the church building was given by the Lesser family.  A cemetery was started in the back yard of the church but is no longer used.  Some of the graves were moved to Beaver Union cemetery. This church burned and was rebuilt.

Beaver United Brethren Church was built in 1892 on present-day Church Street on land donated by John Spengler's grandfather in 1852, and was moved in 1910 by Henry Bobst, with his steam engine moving it through the field to its present site in three days to its present site and dedicated June 15, 1913. 

Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Notice the gas street light

Taylor D Elliot physician and surgeon

Former Hammerstein Furniture building  in Beaver, Ohio

photo by Tyrone Hemry 19 August 2016

Bringing Justin Helton home June 21, 2014

 photo by Tyrone Hemry December 30, 2012

City Garage Beaver, Ohio Add on the spare tire cover. Parked in front of Davis Restaurant in Beaver Ohio. 1926

via Gary Minor 

The Beaver Fairs ran each year from 1900 to 1907.  The reason the fair was moved to Piketon as the story goes is that the land was owned by Dave P. Nutt.  He had a horse in the race and his horse was far behind.  When he got to the barns, he just pulled the horse into the barn.  The people laughed at him which made him mad and he said. "there will never be another fair here," and there never was.

Tom Horton was the Secretary of the fair during this time period.  The fair drew large crowds, not only from the village but the surrounding communities as well.  Joseph Swan was paid $1.50 per day for his service as Deputy Marshal for the three days of the fair in 1903.

Note the D. S. R. R. was the Detroit Southern Rail Road that eventually among the many name changes over the years became the Detroit Toledo and Ironton.

A close up view of the Improved Order of Red Men Commemorative Plaque

photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 July 2014

The Improved Order Of Red Men traces their origins back to 1765 and is descended from the Sons of Liberty. These patriots concealed their identities and worked "underground" to help establish freedom and liberty in the early Colonies. They patterned themselves after the great Iroquois Confederacy and its democratic governing body. Their system, with elected representatives to govern tribal councils, had been in existence for several centuries.

After the War of 1812 the name was changed to the Society of Red Men and in 1834 to the Improved Order of Red Men. They kept the customs and terminology of Native Americans as a basic part of the fraternity.

Abt. 1930 Erhman's Mill later became Adams Brothers. Built around 1865 and by Messers, Koffman and Kuntzman, at a cost of $10,000 and sold to Erhman Brothers in 1874. This four story facility was one of Beaver's most flourishing businesses in 1900. It was made popular by it's first grade white flower called Silver Leaf and 'Buck Head" Buckwheat flour.  Their second grade whit flour was called Fancy Velvet and they also had "Adams Best Cornmeal.

The engine room boiler room and other machinery occupied the ground floor.  Second floor was where the finished products were bagged and sacked.  Third and forth floor were occupied by a complex of machinery.  The front porch of the mill was wagon top high to make it easy to load and unload.  On the north side a saw mill was attached driven by an engine of 60 horse power.

The mill was located on the corner of Eastern Avenue and Third street.

Hammerstein Home, Adams Road, Marion Township, Pike Co., OH
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Henry Adams & Company store

Old Beaver Post Office First Post Office in Beaver ran from 1897-1899 and operated by Frank Leist, son of George Leist.

Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

  The first school in Beaver was a log house on the hill in front of the west side of what is now Beaver Union cemetery.  Wilson Westfall was the teacher.  His son Calvin Westfall taught later in the same school.  The seats were split logs with legs on them.  The writing desk were split logs with longer legs, where the pupils took turns with their writing lessons.  The log school house was replaced by a Brick building in 1872 on Church Street. Wilson Westfall died July 17, 1865 and is buried on the English or west side of the cemetery as well as 4 of his children.

Beaver Fire Dept.  April 27, 2015

photo by Tyrone Hemry 

Reported in a Chillicothe newspaper 24 January 1916.  Patrolman Burns arrested Edward Collins of Chicago, and A.B. Smith (no home) after they were found in a N&W boxcar. The two were believed to have blown a safe belonging to T. Schentle's Store in Beaver.

C & O Construction Crew 1916 working along Germany Road
Picture courtesy of Jim Henry

Beaver was founded near Beaver Creek and named after G. W. Reynolds, as Reynoldsville, who platted the first plots.  By 1883, the name was changed to Beavertown. Mr. G. W. Reynolds, died June 24, 1847 age 56 years 1 month 12 days, is buried in the Beaver Union Cemetery on the West side. The village covers .4 square miles of land.  Beavertown was changed to Beaver and incorporated May 4, 1900.

In 1883, there were five stores. Today only Three of those remain., Beaver Valley Hardware formally Rapp's Grocery, Pyles, and Adams.. At one time Beaver had two hotels but both have since burned down.